Thursday, May 16, 2013

Much Woolton Catholic Primary School

Today was quite the busy and interesting day! I awoke at 6am so that I could arrive at Much Woolton, via bus, by 8:30am. The bus ride takes about 10-15 minutes...and drops us off in Woolton Village - where my travel group and I tried to locate the school a few days prior. Fortunately, Dr. P walked all of us to Much Woolton today so we know how to get there in the future! :)

The school is amazing. Children's artwork and photographs are displayed all over the walls of the school, and the layout of the school itself is so unique and different. Many classrooms are connected to each other, and to get from one to another, you have to walk through multiple classrooms! It's quite odd, and as a teacher, I would absolutely hate that distraction. However, it seems to fit the school...and it's something different.

FYI: During my time at Much Woolton, I will be in Mr. Finnegan's year 5 classroom with Rachel, another Ball State student. England's year 5 is essentially America's 4th grade. Also, school regulations state that no photographs of the school and children are to be put online. Therefore, if you would like to see photos of Much Woolton and my students, you will need to check out my personal scrapbook when I arrive back in the United States.

Born and raised Catholic, the program couldn't have chosen a better school for us future educators to be placed! I have always considered teaching in a Catholic school, and upon finishing day one, I can definitely see it becoming a reality. Before beginning and ending the school day, all children and teachers say a little prayer. Mr. Finnegan's classroom prayer is conducted as more of a call and response - in which he says a phrase or two, and the children repeat. It's adorable.

The school day flew by...and with three breaks during the day, you can probably see why. We jumped right into math and science today, as well as some history and English that incorporated some art and technology (personal laptops and SMART board) aspects. During playtime, us teachers are able to have a tea and coffee break while the students run around. We're also able to go outside and play with the children during that time. Who knew soccer and tag are so much fun to play in England?

We have another whole week before we step into the school again, and I am already wanting to be there on a daily basis! I can't wait to work with such amazing children, and while I look forward to teaching them lots of great information, I also look forward to learning lots of great information from them as well! My time at Much Woolton is sure to be one of tremendous growth and development - not only as a teacher, but as a person and a Catholic, too.

Much Woolton Mission Statement:
"With Jesus we Love, Learn, and Grow."
     At Much Woolton Catholic Primary School, we aim to foster a collaborative and co-operative environment which is rooted in Gospel values. We are committed to making every member of our school - pupils, parents, staff, governors, and friends - feel welcome, valued, and respected, regardless of race, creed, gender, or disability.
     We will recognize and nurture the talents and abilities of the whole school family with emphasis on duties and responsibilities. Everyone will be given the opportunity to achieve their full potential in all aspects of intellectual, spiritual, moral, social, and physical development.
     The school will take its place in the community helping to provide strong links between children, their families, and the parish, promoting attitudes of mutual respect and responsibility.

The School Day:
School lasts from 9am until 3:30pm.
9:00-10:30am          Class Instruction
10:30-10:45am        Morning Playtime
10:45-12noon          Class Instruction
12noon-1:15pm       Lunch & Playtime
1:15-2:15pm             Class Instruction
2:15-2:30pm            Afternoon Playtime
2:30-3:30pm            Class Instruction

No comments:

Post a Comment